POLL: How long have you been playing an instrument?!

NoobNotes.net Forums Polls POLL: How long have you been playing an instrument?!

Tagged: 

This topic contains 16 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Mathew Dalton 5 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

nat
    Keymaster

How long have you been playing an instrument?!
    vote

Amy

Does a few days on another instrument count? ยฏ\_(ใƒ„)_/ยฏ

nat
      Keymaster

Absolutely ๐Ÿ˜€ I left the multi-choice thing enabled to allow for cases like that, where you may wanna tick more than one for different instruments! I knew there’d be a tricky one haha ๐Ÿ˜€ What are you learning?!

Amy

Well I’ve just started learning the saxophone, but before that I was just using the basic little recorder.

๐Ÿ˜€

nat
      Keymaster

Wooow that’s so cool Amy! i’ve been thinking about the sax too! (‘careless whisper’s fault!) how are you finding it?! It’s a reed-based instrument right?! I have no experience with those at all which is what’s making me nervous about jumping in! would love to hear you experience ๐Ÿ˜€

Amy

I was inspired to play saxophone by Careless Whisper too, I like the thought of me playing it and jazzing the room up.

I’ve only had it since Thursday, and it’s quite nice. Except sometimes when you play it for so long your mouth gets sore, and it never agrees with you when you want to play a low note.

It’s reed-based, and if you handle it carefully and don’t bite on it, then I’d say you’re okay jumping into it straight away.

I’m thinking about making a video playing ‘Havana’ as it’s really easy for me to play, and really jazzy once you add the vibe.

If you want to learn it, go for it! ๐Ÿ˜€

nat
      Keymaster

That sounds so cool Amy! Since your message I’ve been researching more and i’m thinking about trying one out at a local music store ๐Ÿ˜€ I’m so impressed that you’ve not even had it a week and have mastered Havana already!! I’d love to see if you do make a video and are willing to share ๐Ÿ˜€ What kind of note range are you getting out of it now?! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Mathew Dalton

Saxophone here too! Havana jumped out at me and it really easy to play on the sax….gives the tune a nice tone. I learned on an alto, but hadn’t played in 20 years. I recently picked up a C-Melody (which is bigger than an alto, but smaller than a tenor). Love this horn. It is keyed in C just like a piano or a guitar. Makes playing along with a piano or a guitar easy.

nat
      Keymaster

Wow Mathew, Havana on the sax is something i HAVE to hear! You guys are really twisting my arm – i’m so tempted to go out and just buy a sax ๐Ÿ˜€ I’ve not heard of a C-melody before, though i can understand the benefits you’ve mentioned. Time to google! ๐Ÿ˜€

Mathew Dalton

Only 2 paths to a C-Mel. They only made them from 1918 to 1932. Buy an older one and have it rebuilt (my path!). They are readily available, only consider a major brand for guaranteed quality (Conn, Martin, Buescher). They are recently being made again in China, but everything I read on these advise to avoid because of quality issues.

nat
          Keymaster

Oh wow, the things you never knew you never knew – sounds amazing (and expensive!), i’d love to see some piccies of it once it’s all in order ๐Ÿ™‚ I fell into the allure of the cheap Chinese flute first time round – corrected that mistake pretty quick ๐Ÿ˜€ Although in retrospect, I was grateful for the option to test out a cheap model before committing to the full priced beast i have now ๐Ÿ™‚ (…a cheap beginner flute, but a proper one! :D)

Hannah

I have been playing flute self-taught a year this June (June 2018). Self-taught soprano sax since November 2017.

nat
      Keymaster

Hey Hannah, to pick up two instruments within a few months of each other sounds like a real challenge to me, how have you found it and which are you getting on with more?! Do you play other instruments too? …so many q’s ๐Ÿ˜€ -nat

Sam

Started playing the recorder about 2 hours ago and thanks to this website I’m making great progress learning All Start by Smash Mouth

Sam

Yesterday I went to the dollar store and bought a $2 plastic soprano recorder and thanks to this website I can already play All Star. The notes on the recorder were surprisingly easy and quick to learn and the notes on this website are very easy to read. I’m hoping that I ace my music performance at school.

nat
      Keymaster

Hey Sam, thanks to much for your lovely comments, it makes me sooooo happy to hear how you’ve used the notes here to excel on the recorder so quickly ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ I’d love to know how you get on at your school music performance, will you be playing All Star?! Keep up the great work ๐Ÿ™‚ nat

Mathew Dalton

I can send you pics of the C-Mel sax. I refurbished it, so I have pics as I got it and also after it was done. Best way to get them to you. Happy to send you a short Havana vid, but not sure how to accomplish that.

Price of the C-Mel completely refurbsihed….$1400. It is now like it was new. Tuned in C……isn’t the flute also tuned in C?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.